Easy Daily Spell (or Prayer) to Align with the Currents of Mercury
Readers may want to check my disclaimer page for Planetary Magic and Astrology in general, I’ll add this simple preface for those lazy souls, or perhaps just those in a hurry, who won’t click the above link:
I don’t know if I’m talking about Mercury orbiting the sun in space or a type of natural and cosmic energy (power, more accurately) the ancients referred to by the same name. This actually matters very little, and I only include it to placate the nerds, or perhaps because I am myself a great nerd.
Mercury Sphere of Mind
Mercury is the power, or dynamic and collected energy, which could be summarized with the word “mind”, in the context of an intelligent universe. By intelligent universe, I simply mean order of expression coupled with an apparent physical reality (whether or not dependent upon additional realms of a non-physical or superphysical nature) that, at the fundamental level, is able to learn and adapt from that learning.
Put even more simply, our natural (earthbound) and cosmic (space and beyond) environment demonstrates both remarkable, predictable order and an ability to respond dynamically to stimuli or to alter its response to stimuli based on prior stimulation. This is, in essence, to learn.
- The nature and structure of DNA , crystalline forms such as quartz, and the water cycle of our planet are overt and undeniable demonstrations of sublime order made manifest.
- Your digestive system learns from personal experience and may not tolerate certain foods at all “for your own good” or may become more adept at dealing with foods that initially had undesirable side effects.
- The geography of a planet’s crust is formed by calamity and destruction, ending in a pristine order that encompasses every process from erosion and eventual reformation thereby to the myriad ecosystems that develop, sustain, evolve, or collapse into the gradual emergence of new ecosystems resulting from the demise of the former.
- The evolution of life on Earth over these four and a half billion or so years is easily the most stunning and magnificent display of nature’s learning curve that is currently known to our species.
Is it any wonder the ancients believed a great and unified Mind pervades all of reality, with the Spirit of this mind moving on, within, and through all things whether animal, vegetable, mineral, space, or spirit? An intelligent Nature or Universe, the great All Mind was common stock among the largely animist – everything is alive and has a spirit – cultures of centuries past.
On this point, Mercury is seen as, among other things, the active principle in the intelligence of the universe itself. The mind of the All Mind is one moniker for this planet or sphere of power.
Clearly. then, Mercury would be the planet associated with human intellect, learning, and all activities of the higher mind of the human being. Communication, writing, mathematics, indeed letters and numbers themselves, gambling (part of the magic of numbers) transactions of a mercantile or clandestine nature (perhaps ironically merchants and thieves had Mercury as a patron deity), medicine and its seemingly miraculous healing, miracles and magic, in general, all fell within the purview of gods such as Hermes, Thoth, Nebo, and goddesses like Hecate and Circe.
You’ll note that Mercury was, unlike many other gods and goddesses, considered androgynous, or both make and female in nature. This is a rather sophisticated departure from the “neither” trend of today, following instead the robust potential of “both”. Hence both Hermese and Hecate, for example, are seen to share Mercurian traits such as magic, poetry, and the role of psychopomp, or being responsible for guiding the souls of the dead into the afterworld.
If this latter role, that of guide to the dead, seems a departure from the previously outlined Mercurian themes, consider the following:
- The transfer of the consciousness to another realm, even after physical death, is a pristine example of Mercury’s commitment to the mind of humanity and the All Mind.
- This is also communication at the level of essence; the greeting and orienting, if you will, of the newly departed prior to their journey with the boatman. As messengers of the gods, Hermes and Thoth represent not diligent and quick couriers, for this is metaphor, but the actual communication between the gods, or laws of nature, and between divinity and mortals. Thoth was the speech of the creator, the literal WORD of the divine that spoke the universe into existence. Mercury represented the unfolding of reality, which continues after this life, so it is quite fitting he or she (Hermes, Hecate, others) be represented in the story of that process.
- Travel is another of Mercury’s influences or correlations. The afterlife represents something of the ultimate trip, it is fair to say. To why the mind of minds caught this department, it could be the association of travel and learning with the philosophers of old, and also likely deals with the element of air which corresponds to both mind and movement, especially large movements, of which travel would be an example.